Tuesday, May 12, 2015

a Little Free Library (continued)...

If you missed the first part of this story- it's right here.

Once the weather got nice enough, work continued. Of course, our spring was warm one day and super chilly the next so this process of installation of our Little Free Library took almost three weeks. First I dug the post hole 24 inches deep, then measured to make sure we had the post & boxes at the right height.



Once we had the heights right, we filled the hole with some cement and waited for it to dry. 


Next step was to attach the circle boxes to the post. Again, a lot of measuring, drilling, and screws. But after that I had one ready to receive the metal. (Oh, I forgot to mention before I put the metal on I screwed down a few book ends to keep the books from falling over and denting the metal).


I've never worked with metal before. I found this heavy flashing at the hardware store and thought it would work just fine. My sister happened to have nice tin snips to cut it to the right length which worked pretty slick. I had planned for the circles to be 13 inches deep from outside to outside, which meant there would be a half inch over hang of metal on both the front and back sides. 


I wrapped the metal around the box, measured and cut around the post, and screwed the metal to the wood with self tapping short screws. I think it worked out great. Once it was assemble all I needed to do was coat it with a ton of spray paint. A couple coats of white primer, three or four coats of the main color and then a few coats of clear to keep it looking pretty for years to come. 


And then do that same process to two more circle boxes. This was a lot of waiting, waiting and more waiting. Paint drying is not the most exciting. I did add clear sealant to fill any gaps between the wood and metal making it watertight. That also took some time to dry.



I used my exact-o knife cutting skills to cut out some sticker letters out of sticker paper to make a "Little Free Library" sign on the side of one of the boxes. I hope as people walk down the street that can then see what this thing is before they get to it.

 
 

During the three weeks of installation and assembly we sure had quite a few neighbors stop by to ask what we were building! It was fun to get to tell them about it and they all seemed very excited. They wondered when it would be open to use. I wasn't certain when all the little pieces would be done, so we made a sign:


It took a few days to get the clear edging we ordered. It would cover the exposed edge of the metal to protect people from getting scraped. Eventually we had all the pieces and we were able to complete our Library. Hooray!


To celebrate I hosted a little Story-time Grand opening with a few friends. It had been raining off and on that day, but the rain cleared as they people came. Right away we filled our Library with books that everyone had brought. There's a box for kids picture books, another for young reader chapter books, and the tallest one for adult books. It'll be exciting to see them change out as the books come and go. We even got our official charter sign in the mail that very afternoon- how exciting.


At our Grand Opening I read two of my favorite picture books about BOOKS. The first one is "My Pet Book" by Bob Staake, the second is "The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore" by William Joyce.

**how I made the stool I'm sitting on (that's me with the big blue rain boots) will be another post**

No comments: