Friday, January 9, 2015

Upcycled Christmas Gift Bags

Christmas Eve I started thinking about all the presents for my Little Misters I had to wrap. It wasn't a ton of stuff but I had no wrapping paper. I've been trying to avoid buying it, as it seems kind of wasteful. The last few years I've been using things I had around the house: brown packaging paper from amazon deliveries, tin foil, tissue paper, etc. This year, spur of the moment Christmas Eve morning, I plopped my boys in front of the claymation Rudolph movie and decided to sew gift bags. I had an old pair of PJ pants that I'd worn a hole in the knee, but I had saved them instead of tossing them. Don't ask me why I saved them, just seemed like I could eventually re purpose them. So I finally did.


I started by cutting off the lower legs. The cuff was already sewn and the side seams I left as is. I just had to turn it inside out to sew the cut edge together and I had two bags.


The top part of the PJ's had enough material for two more bags. I even took the tie ribbon out to use to decorate the gifts. 


Since I had more gifts to wrap than just four, I started pulling out more fabric from my stash. Stuff I'd been holding onto forever but hadn't used. I'm pretty happy to have made a good sized dent in my fabric stash. I was getting tired of storing all that fabric without have a purpose for it. 


When I put my Christmas stuff away for the year, these gift bags and ribbons went into the storage box all ready for next year. Hooray for upcycling and "going green".

No comments: