Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Knitting a Christmas Cowl

Back in February I was in Italy knitting a bunch of pointy elf hats. One of those hats I never got a photo of was a little grey and red hat for my nephew.


I think it was my favorite hat, I love the color combo and the way the stripe turned out. SO when it started getting cold this fall I thought I'd make him a matching neck cowl. I had only a tiny bit of the red Italian yarn, which I used for a little stripe up the side. The grey is leftover from these sweaters, but it's a pretty close match to the grey Italian yarn.


It happened there was just enough red to make a "C" on the opposite side as the stripe. My nephew was SUPER excited and happy about seeing the first letter of his first name. Just look how happy he is modeling the new neck cowl and his matching hat.


I saw this tutorial on Purl Bee and modified it*. I love that the ribbing on the back helps it stand up taller, keeping the cold and snow off his small neck.


* I knit 64 stitches on US 10 short circle needles. Place a beginning-of-round marker and join for working in the round. Knit 2, purl 2 ribbing for an inch. Knit across half the stitches, place a second marker, then knit 2 purl 2 (following established ribbing pattern) to the beginning of the round marker. Continue in this pattern, knitting across the front, ribbing along the back. Every twelfth round (about two inches) Knit two purl stitches after first marker, and two purl stitches before the second marker (on the ribbing side of markers) reducing the ribs in the ribbing pattern. When the piece reaches 11-12 inches bind off very loosely. Weave in loose ends.

No comments: