Friday, August 2, 2013

Raised Planter Boxes

Growing up my father and I built several furniture pieces together. If I dreamed up something, he'd help me find the wood and puzzle out how to construct it. When I mentioned wanting to build a raised planter box for a small garden, my dad jumped right in to help. I found all the wood and lag bolts in his shed I had just finished organizing.



It was fun building with him after all these years. Mom supervised from the deck and took a few "working" photos for me.


After it was built, my Mom and I went to our area compost site to get free black dirt. The idea was to build a FREE planter box. Its about four and a half feet square.



Of course, we did have to run out and buy plants to fill our new planter box. There goes the "free" part but at least the box was free. We planted two red pepper plants, two cucumber plants, heirloom tomato plant, roma tomato plant and a zucchini plant.



A month and a half later and their growing like crazy! It's super exciting and everyone in the family is involved in watering and watching the plants grow. I've never grown anything before, so I have no idea what I'm doing. It's pretty amazing feeling being able to grow our own veggies. 




We can't wait for our fall harvest!


No comments: