Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I like old Trunks...

What can I say, I've always liked trunks... especially old ones. I guess it might have something to do with my compulsive need to organize stuff and have "a place for everything & everything in its place". I can't really remember how I came into possession of this old family trunk. It happens to be my dad's uncle's tool chest.

It's wooden and pretty heavy even when it's empty. It's always had a kind of weird smell (maybe grease or oil from the tools), which is why I've never really stored anything in it. I decided I'd freshen it up with a new coat of paint and see it that covered the odor and made it usable.


I gathered my supplies and while the Little Misters were away at summer camp, I started spray painting.

Before:

After:

The interior is my favorite, a surprise of YELLOW. All the dividers were to keep the tools in place, but its like it was made for all the Little Misters Hotwheels. A slot for orange tracks, bigger cars, the growing hotwheel collection and misc cars.


My boys are super excited about it and couldn't wait for me to get it back into the house to play. 


I love how the white trim turned out- it's all the original metal trim, handles & latches and I wanted them to stand out.


The original lettering for Dad's Uncle I left alone. Well I gave it a new coat of paint but did it very carefully. When thinking about painting the trunk I knew I wanted to keep the name on because it gave some link to the family ties.


Hooray for new toy boxes!!

2 comments:

Kjersten said...

I love how this turned out, Margaret! Very inspiring. Thanks.

Margaret said...

Thanks KJ. We are absolutely loving the way it turned out and it's so nice to have all their car things in one place.