Monday, September 26, 2011

Make a Mess Monday: Leaf Prints

Since it will soon officially be Fall, I chose to use leaves for this Make a Mess Project. 


I like re-using things I have laying around the house. So we stole from our household painting supplies a small roller, a paint brush and a paint tray. I like to use crayola's washable paints because they easily wash out of everything, yes everything.



First thing's first, walk around the yard finding leaves of all shapes and sizes. Next spread the paint on the leaf, either with a brush or smashing the leaf into the paint. We found that using a little bit of paint on the bottom side of the leaf {the side with all the spines} made the neatest leaf prints.


With my own boys the bigger the drawing space the more they engage in arts & craft projects. When they're not contained to a small sheet of paper, painting can be more of a whole body experience making it more enjoyable. Want to engage your boys?! How about using a roller on the sidewalk to roll watered down paint onto the leaves. Once the leaf has been painted stamp it on the sidewalk, a nearby tree or even your front steps if you dare. Don't worry- you can always wash it off with the hose later.


Not messy enough yet- Try using your feet to press the leaf onto the paper or other surface. Notice our own little experiment pictured below: the bigger the paper the more leaf stamps my two little misters were interested in doing.


To be quite honest, painting with my kids stresses me out and making messes is so not my strong suit. But I am trying to let go of my "clean freak self" to have fun creating with my sons. I'd love to hear your favorite leaf projects or stories attempting to make this mess in the comments.

{PS. This was written for my first ever guest blogger post last week. Jenny over at the Southern Institute saw my "Make a Mess Monday" series and ask me to put together a Fall Kids Craft. I thought I'd share it here because I did't feel like making a different mess for today.}

No comments: