Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Six years & two kids into our marriage, we've started dreaming {again}.

What got us all dreamy, you might ask?

Well, it was the simplifying philosophies in the book "Simplicity Parenting: using the extraordinary power of less to raise calmer, happier, and more secure kids" by Kim John Payne. Since I found the book illuminating, I want to share some of the things that really got me thinking.

This book not only walked me through thinning out toy piles, but addressed other areas that I hadn't even thought about. Things like bookshelves, lighting, daily excess clutter (both physical and schedule wise), Food prep/ meal times, clothes and even our extra words.  He gives easy, do-able actions followed by very understandable reasons why they are effective at creating a calmer home life.


There were still more areas of simplifying that are also thoroughly explained in the book.  Kim John Payne's conclusion stated that by simplifying, we can "re-align our day to day life to the plans we originally dreamed of for our family". After reading his whole book it hit me, I haven't thought about all the plans my husband and I had talked about for our future family (pre-kids) in a really long time. They had become lost in our current every day life of raising two small boys. 

ONE of the original dreams we used to talk for hours about was traveling the world. Work, life, kids and financial troubles have cluttered our lives, making world travel a bit more difficult in reality than in theory.  But I think with a more simple approach to life, we've started dreaming again. There's a good chance that once my husband finishes school at the end of 2012 we'll take ourselves on a grand {possibly once in a lifetime} adventure to at least one foreign country.

There's no right or wrong way to simply, no one size fits all. It's about finding a balance of what works for my family, which might not work for anyone else.  If you haven't read this book, I would encourage you to do so. It's slowly making changes not only in my kids life but in my marriage as well.

No comments: