Friday, August 19, 2011

Random Food Post: One Pot Dinner

My mom used to make a dish that she called Indian Chow Mein. I was talking with my sister yesterday about the dish we both fondly remember and thought we'd try to recreate it. Mom lost the recipe years ago so we weren't sure exactly how she put it together. The Little Misters and I went over to Auntie's house after grocery shopping to have dinner all together.


Here's what we came up with {serves about 4-6 people}:

Ingredients:
1 pound browned beef
1 can Cream of Celery
1 can of Cream of Mushroom
1 can water
1 can Milk
2-3 cups white rice
1 can sliced bamboo shoots
some fresh chopped zucchini
One bag of Chow Mein noodles

Directions:
Put your rice, soups, water and Milk into the pot. Bring it to boil. Add the bamboo shoots and zucchini. In a skillet, brown your beef and add that to your pot as well. Cover the pot and let it simmer over low heat for about 15-20 minutes, till your rice is done.  Dish and top with Chow Mein noodles {soy sauce optional}. Enjoy.

3 comments:

J&M said...

This was delicious!

Plus we had some extra chowmein noodles. So I attempted a yummy chocolate treat. (Reciepe below) They turned out okay... I love chocolate so I really liked them.

remaining chow mein noodles
2 tbs butter
1/4 cup peanut butter
3/4 bag of semi sweet chocolate chips

Melt butter, peanut butter and chips down. (I use a pan over a pan of water)
Place a small amount of noodles in cupcake papers (Could mound noodles on wax paper), dollop melted chocolate over noddles, sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Or create your own version of the above. (Could shake in bag like you were making puppy chow) Endless possiblities!

Thanks for the yummy dinner!

Margaret said...

oh sounds yummy. I LOVE the Chow Mein noodles, I think I'd eat them with anything- but with Chocolate... I have to try that sometime.

Therapist San Francisco said...

This looks so delicious! I can't wait to make it for dinner :D