Friday, August 26, 2011

Bed Caddys for my college bound Cousins

My Aunt found this cute little bed caddy from Target and wanted to make a couple for her daughters, my twin cousins. They're HUGE book readers and often read late into the night. These bed caddies will come in handy for their next year of college. I hope they'll be pretty happy to have a little handmade goodness they're first week back at school.


My aunt said that the target caddy had a bar that went under the edge of the mattress. We weren't sure how a little rod would help hold up the bed caddy loaded with books. She came up with the idea to use a non-slip rug pad to tuck between the mattress and whatever that mattress rested on.


I added a couple strips of ribbon on the top and bottom edge of the non-slip rug pad to keep the connection to the caddy from ripping. I think they turned out really nice. Pockets for Pens, a phone, the all important book, and even an Ipod. Who could ask for anything more?


5 comments:

shana said...

nice work, they are adorable. A & K will love them!
shana

Margaret said...

thanks, I think it's the perfect back to college gift. I just hope I haven't ruined the surprise!

Melanie said...

No Margaret surprise not ruined. I never got them mailed so through tears I gave them to them on the day we took Kylee back to school. They LOVED them. Kylee was so excited and Ashley said it would still work even if she didn't have a loft, or a bed frame for that matter. You would be proud of Ashley, she and her roommate made a bed frame for a queen sized bed.

Anonymous said...

Love them! Do you have a pattern or instructions you could share? Looking to make one for my five year old!
Thanks,
Tammy

Margaret said...

Thanks. I don't have a pattern yet, it's on my to do list.
I could try to explain how I pieced it together but I'm afraid I'd sound super confusing without photos.

I measured a book the get the right dimensions and then puzzled it together. All the fabric is doubled over for added strength- those college books can be heavy.