Wednesday, August 10, 2011

And to think I used to be scared of sharks...

When I was younger my only worry about swimming was sharks {or large muskies & other big fish}. Born and raised in Minnesota, Land of ten thousand lakes, sharks aren't really an issue but they scared me none the less. We swam in hundreds of lakes and had a back yard above ground pool, when summer hit we were like fish ourselves, always in the water. Nothing major ever happened.



This weekend we traveled to my brother-in-law's family cabin for a big family getaway. There's a swimming beach not five minutes walk from the cabin so we were at the beach playing most of the weekend. Little Man, who is 3 1/2 years old, was loving the water. He had a life jacket and a swimming noodle, which added to his bravery.  I was even able to convince him to come out to the big floating dock with Daddy and I.

On our second trip to the big silly dock we had my 15 month old nephew and his mom {my sister who used to be a life guard} come along. Daddy was up first, Little man, and I climbed aboard and then my nephew was handed up to me- everything was hunky dory. When my sister started up the dock's ladder the whole thing started to tip, and kept on tipping when I stupidly shifted my weight forward to the side that was now under water, instead of the side coming up out of the water. Needless to say, we accidentally flipped the dock over.



Now I always thought that in these situations I would grab my child and never let go. But I'm not sure I really had a hold of him to begin with. I don't remember much, other than reaching out and grabbing his little life jacket; kicking as hard and as fast as I could to get us above the water.

Thank goodness for life jackets and quick thinking on my husband's part. Everyone escaped unharmed, minus a couple minor bumps on the big people's heads. The little ones were freaked out but we attempted to make light of the situation so they weren't traumatized from ever going swimming again. I for one will have some anxieties and a little panic the next time we decide to go swimming with the boys.


BUT I suppose it might have been worse... 
there could have been sharks.

1 comment:

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

Never a dull moment... right? We've been pulled out of the water at the local beach due to sharks, so I AM scared of them :)