Friday, July 15, 2011

Pimpin' out a Little Red Wagon


Got a hand-me-down wagon and stayed up far too late creating a custom, one of a kind pimped out ride for the little misters. All it needs now is a few drink holders, (a little spray paint in the bottom to stop the rust) and we're ready for a grand adventure.


A friend was getting rid of their old red Radio Flyer wagon and sold it to me for twenty bucks. I used material I had purchased almost a year ago and had been saving for something special. I bought a bag of quilt batting for $9 at the fabric store to use for the stuffing/ padding. AND I recycled an old army surplus bag that was actually the backpack that I used all three of the four years of high school. Total cost: less than $30 dollars.


I laid out a couple of big sheets of paper inside the wagon to create a template so the pad would be the exact size I wanted. Then laid out my material to cut it, adding an inch around the outside of my paper template for seem allowance and height. I sewed the pad right sides together adding a tab piece on each end for attaching pillows too. After flipping it right sides out, I stuffed it and sewed through the batting in a couple of places to create a nice tri-fold in the pad. With the pillow edges sewn, I sewed a little pocket inside for the stuffing, creating a little sham and then hand stitched the buttons onto the bottom edge.


The pillow fastens onto the pad with buttons to keep it from being thrown out of the wagon while small passengers are riding. I hope to add a second pillow in the future, which is why I added the tabs on both ends. The back pack attaches using the original clips on new belt strapping. I made the straps shorter so it stays nice and tight to the wagon and off the ground.


This was one of those projects that makes me want to stand up and shout from the roof tops "look what I can do!". (I apologize if that sounds like bragging, but I am just super excited that what I envisioned actually turned out)


4 comments:

Michelle said...

What a great idea!! This is so cute!!!

Christina said...

Looks great!

Rach H said...

you're right, that's pimpin, haha! awesome! Found you on TT&J.

I would love for you to link this up at my weekend Link Party, Once Upon a Weekend. This weekend is my first-ever party, and I am so hoping people will participate! :)

Here’s the link if you’re interested:

http://familyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/07/once-upon-weekend-link-party-1.html

Also, if you have a list of favorite link parties, I’d love to be included on Fridays. Thanks a ton!

Jo (@ boogaloo) said...

Gorgeous fabric! Great job!!