Monday, April 18, 2011

Tips and Tricks: its just stuff

With our eventual move later this year, I've been purging a few things here and there. We'll be having a garage sale in a few weeks, and I took a whole car load of stuff to my sisters place to price it. This is one car load less we'll need to pack later. I was shocked to find I had so much "just get rid of it" things lying around that we've been holding onto.

I stumbled onto a new blog a couple of weeks ago called a small notebook. While reading some of her older posts about organizing, I found a ton of great common sense type pieces of advice. The one that really hit me, being somewhat overly sentimental of keepsakes, was the less stuff you keep from your past, the more special it becomes. Wow. That made total sense to me. I love keeping a record of all the things that have ever happened to me, but when I'm gone those same things I treasure might be a burden to my sons. What glimpse of my past do I want to show them? It was a very interesting question to think about while digging through old school papers and documents this weekend. Right now it all fits into a box slightly larger than a shoebox. (It used to fill a large rubber maid container)

One other tool she shares that I found eye opening was for all those digital images. I had been saving every single photograph I've ever taken of the boys, but with one push of the delete button I reduce the clutter on my hard drive and backup disks.
.  .  .  .  .  .
Scaling back on our personal belonging and purchases has helped us gain a new perspective on our "things" and what's most important to us as a family. Although, some of it was based on the lack of funds, the lessons we've learned this past year will be carried with us when we think about how to spend our money and time in the future. Yes, there will still be those desires to buy something I "really must have" but in the end it's all just stuff we buy or make to feel happy. What I'd like to be able to teach by example to my little misters is that time spent with loved ones and using our imaginations can be so much more rewarding.

No comments: