Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Handmade Christmas: Ice Candle Globes

I have two more handmade items I gave as gifts for Christmas I wanted to share and then I'll move on to other crafts:
I had very little money to get my parents a Christmas present. They have just about everything you can think of, so one usually has to get creative to find something they don't already have. I heard this wonderful idea from my mother-in-law. Her co-worker froze water balloons and added a tea light to create an Ice Lantern. That sounded like great idea, we already live in the frozen tundra of the upper midwest. Plus my parents usually have a big Christmas Eve party with extended family. I went over a week ahead of time so the water would freeze. It was a rather warm week leading up to Friday the 24th, the balloons took a long time to solidify. They actually didn't freeze as much as I thought they would.
Rather they became Ice Bowls instead, which saved us from drilling or chiseling out a hole through solid ice balls to get a candle down inside of it. My mother was able to furnish small glass candle holders and slightly bigger candles than the tea lights. In total I spent $1.25 on the balloons, filled them with water at my parents house and used candle she already had. BUT the effect on Chirstmas Eve was Wonderful.

*I published the tutorial on Monday. It's rather simple.*

No comments: