Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Letterpress Printing

I signed up for a Letter Printing class through community Education program in my area. It's two evening classes. Yesterday was my first introduction to a Platen Press. Our teacher is an older woman, and quite full of energy- which makes learning intuitive lessons a bit more fun. We made simple folded note cards using just one "dingbat"- those little metal pieces that get inked.
The women allowing us to use her personal inks and press was taught to "just kiss the paper" in the press, so contirary to my expectations, the note card looked like I just stamped with a rubber stamp rather then de-bossing the image. Had I used a little more squeeze I think I could have de-bossed it- maybe I'll try that next week when we use text to create a personalized postcard. I'm excited. I'll try to take photos next week as well.
Now I'm looking into finding Letterpress studio time at a local college for the arts.
-Want to see one of the oldest letterpress printing shops- click here to watch a youtube video.

1 comment:

Kjersten said...

Oh my gosh. That is sooooo cool. I LOVE that you are taking that class. What a perfect match for your design sensibilities! I can't wait to see what you come up with. Thinking happy creative thoughts for you.