Friday, March 26, 2010

Magnetic board

The craft last night at my MOPS group (mothers of preschoolers) was a magnetic memo board. I painted the metal sheet blue and used the bird paper to cover the bottom. Today, while I was looking at it and had the paints out already I thought it would be fun to put the boys' hand prints on it with white paint. I think it turned out quite lovely.

BUT...
As I was photographing it, I realized that for some reason or another it's not magnetic, at least none of the dozen magnets I tried to stick to it stuck. I'm a little bummed, but at least it is a cute piece of art to display the boys' hand prints.

2 comments:

shana said...

I'm so sorry . . . that's crazy! How can it not be magnetic? It's a sheet of metal. That's so strange. Magnets stuck to all 3 of my samples. At least it's cute . . . you could always tape stuff to it, I guess!

Anonymous said...

non-ferrous metals are not magnetic, things like gold for example, and some man made alloys.

My guess is there is aluminum in that metal which keeps its light, but aluminum is non-ferrous, but could be magnesium or nickel as well

Jerimy