Saturday, May 2, 2009

Project Flashback: Art Show 2003?

My Sister was organizing an Art Show at her Church and she convinced me to make a piece to enter. I was, at that time, writing a lot of poems. I had been playing with collage, mostly cutting words from magazines. (I had just finished a whole Italy trip scrapbook with magazine word clippings instead of my handwriting.)

I used backgrounds pieced together from full page ads and glued it onto black alligator board (thick foam core). The magazine word clips I placed in their lines. I wanted to reader to still feel the words made sense. I took tissue paper and mod podged over the top with a foam brush. It gave it a wrinkled texture on top. I ended up hanging it with Velcro strips on the back. Truth be told, I was very excited about the end result. I still don't think of myself as an "artist"... but I did enjoy creating this piece.

No comments: